SO WHO IS THIS GUY?

My photo
Hi there! As you can see, my name is Chris, I'm at university and I'm currently 21 years old, but there's more to know than my name and age. So what am I doing then? Well I'm studying Game Art at DMU. I am aiming to be one of the top proffesional vehicle artists in the industry. In the meantime, check out this Blog of mine and when your finished, take a look at my website!

Sound In Games


Sound in games plays a particular role in portraying emotions, immersion and atmosphere into game worlds. Most notably as well, is that it can create instant recognition with a game franchise.

However music and sound in games has come a long way but still has its technical limitations with current generation hardware. For example in older generations of consoles, sound was very limited by the hardware and tends to take up a lot of space on both the games media device and the console.

However there have been many ways for developers and sound engineers/designers to overcome these limitations. One example and a rather obvious one, is the use of a race cars engine sound in old games. Whenever the car would up shift, the pitch of the sound would be increased to represent further speed and power of the vehicle, and visa versa.

Personally for me, there have been a few games that have really stood out in terms of sound quality and leaving a lasting impact on me.

Firstly this would be the metal gear solid series as it has always had compelling and realistic sound effects along with a background music that fits the situation of the gameplay. Another lasting impression i have always had is the fact that NPCs talk and communicate with each other, even though it might be very limited in detail, it adds further immersion to the games world through sound.

Secondly would have to be the Uncharted series. Every detail down to stepping on puddles, rock, mud and wood are all given there own unique sound in this game. Not only this, but the voice acting for the game is what really sets it apart from other games this generation for me. For example, during gameplay you will often hear Drake talking to himself and muttering one liners. It shows what sound can do to help bring life to characters in games and not only the environments which I think is sometimes overlooked. Even down the theme music which is very iconic for the series, it helps to create a sense of adventure and excitement about the game before you're even playing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment